1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
1. Be in it to win it – Take your call seriously.
2. Make sure you are in training and fit for your race.
3. Keep your eye on the winner’s crown.
4. Don’t run aimlessly or without purpose.
1 Corinthians 9:26 (Living Bible)
So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win. I’m not just shadow-boxing or playing around.
● An encouragement for us to have a purpose-driven run.
● God has always had a purpose for your life.
● Re-connected to His perfect purposes through ‘new birth’.
● People are made for different purposes.
2 Timothy 2:20-21 (NIV)
In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
Romans 9:17 (NIV)
For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”
God has a purpose for every life He breathes His breath into
I know the plans I have for you.
Hebrew Word for plans – maḥăšāḇ – thought, devise, purpose, invention
GOD MADE YOU ON PURPOSE AND FOR A PURPOSE!
1. God has an individual plan for you to know.
2. God has other plans and purposes that include us all
● Could call these “good works or purposes”.
● Bible says we were created for good works
Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV)
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
● Created for good works not by good works!
● Good works are not “dead works”
The Greek word for works – er’-gon – to do business, be occupied with – God’s business
The first man Adam and the original creation show us we were made for a purpose
● As with Adam, we are made by God (through the new birth experience)
● Made for business – To take care of what belongs to God!
We can see some key purposes revealed in the life and ministry of Jesus
1 John 3:8 (NKJV)
8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.
● His purpose was to destroy the works (business) of the devil
● This is our purpose too. We are the body of Christ and His expression on the earth.
Our Common Purpose
● Great Commission, a common purpose
● Reach, disciple set people free
It’s about “our purpose”
● Stay in your lane – Run according to the race (purpose) marked out for you.
● David is a great example of a man who ran the race God had specifically for him.
Acts 13:36 (NIV)
Now when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed.
Salvation and our obedience to what God asks of us connect us back to His true purposes for us.
We then run in accordance with these purposes.
Spend some time this week in prayer specifically asking the Lord concerning His bespoke purposes for your life.
Ask the Lord, “What would You have me to achieve in my life?”